Summer is almost here, and there’s nothing quite like the feeling of stepping into a cool, air-conditioned room after a long day in the sweltering heat. Then again, here in Florida, having a working AC is a good idea anyway, even outside of Summer. Therefore, what happens when your AC starts acting up? Let’s have a look at a few common AC problems and what to do about them.
AC not blowing cold air
One of the most common AC problems is the AC not blowing any cold air. This can be extremely frustrating, especially on a hot day. However, there are a few things you can check yourself before calling in a professional.
- Check your thermostat. Make sure it’s set to the correct temperature and that it’s functioning properly.
- If the thermostat is working fine, check your air filter. A dirty air filter can cause your AC to blow warm air. Replace the filter if it’s dirty.
- If neither of these solutions works, there may be a refrigerant leak. This is a more serious problem and requires a professional to fix it. A refrigerant leak can also be dangerous, so it’s important to address it quickly.
- If the problem is not with the thermostat or air filter, it may be a problem with the compressor. The compressor is responsible for cooling the air, and if it’s not working properly, your AC will not blow cold air. This is another issue that requires a professional to fix. It’s important to address this issue quickly, as a malfunctioning compressor can cause other problems with your AC.
- Lastly, check your ductwork. If there are leaks or blockages in your ductwork, it can prevent your AC from blowing cold air. This is another issue that requires a professional to fix. It’s important to have your ducts inspected regularly to prevent this problem from occurring.
The AC is making strange noises
Another common AC problem is when it starts making strange noises. This can be a sign that something is wrong with your AC.
- If you hear a rattling noise, it could be a loose part. Check your AC unit for loose screws or bolts. Tighten any that are loose. If the noise persists, it may be a problem with the fan motor. This requires a professional to fix it.
- If you hear a screeching noise, it could be a problem with the fan belt. The fan belt is responsible for turning the fan blades, and if it’s worn or damaged, it can cause a screeching noise. This, too, requires help from an expert. It’s important to address this issue quickly, as a damaged fan belt can cause other problems with your AC.
- If you hear a hissing noise, it could be a refrigerant leak. This is a more serious problem, and you should call a professional. Again, a refrigerant leak can be dangerous, so it’s important to address it quickly.
The AC is not turning on
If your AC is not turning on, there are a few things you can check before calling in a professional.
- The first thing to check is your thermostat. Make sure it’s set to the correct temperature and that it’s functioning properly.
- If the thermostat is working fine, check your circuit breaker. Your AC unit may have tripped the breaker, causing it to turn off. Reset the breaker and see if your AC turns on. If it doesn’t, there may be a problem with your AC unit. This requires a professional to fix it.
The AC is leaking water
If your AC is leaking water, it could be a sign of a clogged drain line. The drain line is responsible for removing condensation from your AC unit. If it’s clogged, water will build up and eventually leak out. To fix this problem, locate the drain line and use a wet/dry vacuum to remove any blockages. If you’re not comfortable doing this yourself, it’s best to call in a professional.
The AC is emitting strange odors
If your AC is emitting strange odors, it could be a sign of mold or mildew growth. This can be caused by a dirty air filter or a clogged drain line. Replace the air filter and clean the drain line to prevent mold and mildew growth. If the problem persists, there may be a problem with your AC unit. This requires a professional to fix it.
Troubleshooting and preventative maintenance for your AC
Preventative maintenance is one of the best ways to keep your AC running smoothly. Here are some tips for maintaining your AC unit:
- Schedule regular maintenance with a professional.
- Keep your air filter clean and replace it regularly.
- Keep your outdoor unit clear of debris and vegetation.
- Keep your ductwork clean and free of blockages.
- Address any issues promptly to prevent further damage.
If in any doubt – Call the Pros to keep your AC running smoothly
By troubleshooting common AC problems and taking preventative measures, you can keep your AC running smoothly. Remember to keep your air filter clean, schedule regular maintenance, and address any issues promptly. And if you’re not comfortable troubleshooting the issue yourself, don’t hesitate to call your friendly team at Action Air Conditioning. Stay cool!